Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Grand Rapids Home for Veterans: Stinky, update part 23

3rd update. The guy changed his clothing, but as of 12 June 2012, he has had the same blue shirt, and newer jeans on. We will see how long he goes before these cloths fall off him from rotting.


2nd update: Easter Miracle, the guys pants were so badly ripped up, (they were so rotting that they literally were falling apart as he wore them), that he finally changed them. Still has not taken a shower in 8 months now, and still has the same red shirt on. It too is now falling apart, as he sleeps in his clothing.

Update on Stinky. After a weeks worth of Inspection by the Federal Veterans Administration Representative, Stinky and his room mate were required to clean up their room. 3 big totes of newspapers were removed from Stinky's bed area, and another 2 totes of clothing were removed from J's area. J also has a mini van parked in the members parking area that is packed with clothing, and I am told by their third roommate, somewhere inside it is a gas can with 3 gallons of gasoline.

This picture was taken at 2 in the after noon on a 80 degree day. The jeans on this guy are starting to rip off of him, because they are so crusty.

Neither the Social services staff nor the medical staff will require this man to change his clothing and to take a shower. Other veterans are now telling him he cannot ride the elevators with them because he reeks so badly.

According to the members guide book, a member is expected to conduct themselves in a socially acceptable manner at all times - this is NOT a socially acceptable standard.

Members are also expected to practice good general hygiene, such as bathing, changing clothes, shaving and keeping well grouped. Hygiene supplies and clothing are available to members.

This man has been violating those rules for over 6 months and the staff has done NOTHING to resolve it.

Current members are now threatening to give this man a "military scrub down".

Final plea's for direct action are being filed, with possible legal action against the home to be taken if they continue to refuse to do anything.

1 comment:

  1. I have been reading your blog, and I am saddened. I have worked in health care for five years, and I am currently unemployed due to me standing up for resident rights. Though this man that you have been reporting on (very funny, but so sad at the same time) may have rights to not shower every day. Recipient rights claim that if a person is refusing to shower after seven days they are required to force a shower. I am sure you could look this law up. I really do wish that I had the college education to come advocate for you. I would be there in a heart beat. I have had a few experiences in the vets home over the past ten years. My great grandfather had to go there when he had to have his leg amputated. My grandfather was a very strong willed man. My grandfather died not long after having this amputation done. When going to visit him, I noticed how dirty the facility is. Please know that I am thankful for what you have done for our country. And I am so sorry for how you are being treated!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are screened for privacy reasons, and those posted are posted "as they were written" minus any information that the writer sent to us that is for our use only or for which they requested be made private.